Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Even though he was a sexist, Freud's theory still makes me think

I just feel like writing now. I don't know what to write. I learned about the phallic stage of the Freudian theory today. Don't worry I won't go into detail. But something interesting that my professor asked was if we found that women tend to put guys at a higher level. He used an example of a girl who has a bunch of girlfriends, and then as soon as she gets a boyfriend she dumps her friends. Now I Know this is a little far fetched for an example, but it does happen. Here is another example: what about when two girls like the same boy, isn't there sometimes a feeling of rivalry, even minor... I guess this happens with guys liking girls too... hummm... (I am sort of processing through this right now). What about this, doesn’t it seem like girls are meaner to girls than they are to guys. I guess I have been thinking about this, because I find myself getting in arguments with girls easier than I do with guys. I know that that there are some girls that I want to be vulnerable with, but I feel like I can't, but it is easier for me to go and spill my guts out to a guy. ...arg! I'm also thinking about this because me and my friend just snapped at each other... grr I hate that we do that, we get so defensive. Blegh! I just need to see the best in people before I get all defensive and judgmental. I'm still training in that area.

2 comments:

Narisilme said...

I feel much the same way. I don't know why, but I tend to enjoy a guy's company more than a girl's. But I don't think it's necessarily because I want to impress him. Life just seems more laid back when talking with guys. They (in general) don't seem to get worked up over the little stuff.

Jessica said...

Cormack, what you are saying kind of goes along with Freud’s theory. Since we put guys at a higher level we would want to impress them, because we want what they have. Feminists call this the status envy... now a lot of modern Psychologists don't agree with Freud. He was more into analyzing rather than looking at it scientifically. Most of his studied were on his mental patients and himself, but his theories are still something to think about.

Eleanor, I would have to agree with you. Lately I have noticed that I hold things from girls more than I do guys. Yes Cormack, I think it is because guys don't go off of the assumptions, like girls tend to do. Because of this at times it is harder for me to trust a girl with my vulnerability.