Thursday, June 02, 2005

Disneyland!

Jason, AJ, Rae, Eleanor and I went to Disneyland yesterday! It was fun! We later met up with Doug, Faye, and her Friend. Watched the Fireworks... AMAZING!
Just in these past few college years, whenever I visit Disneyland or talk to someone who works here, it pushes me into a cycle of thought and wonder.

"Should I apply to work here? I could try out for a character, 'so and so' said I would do great! uhh but 'so and so' wants to quit working here. ...But they said they loved it! How come they want to quit? Would I have time if I got a job here? I guess that is were discipline comes in. humm... there are the benefits. I could come any time I want, and sign people in. ooohh and no pressure of getting your money's worth on all the rides and attractions! *sigh… Dad worked there (he keeps hinting that I should work there), I could start some family tradition… it is a blessing to live so close and have this opportunity. … *sigh... Oh! but they kill your weekends! …But if I had a job I’d work on the weekends anyway!"

"Should I get a job?"

2 comments:

Jason Rasmussen said...

THAT WAS SO FUN!! Lets do it again, then get back in line!

Most entry level jobs at Disneyland are hourly with a variable schedule. One of the biggest problems with a variable schedule job (unlike a M-F job) is that you can't anticipate your time off and plan with friends and family, or have much of a social life. I've done the "your schedule changes weekly" thing, it's not fun, and working a steady consistent job now is such a blessing! I know people that work there and love it, and I also know people that are not so happy with it. Disney does work with school schedules, but your hours at work may vary because of that. Being able to go in and sign people in is a great benefit, but there are annual passes for that too. Some people climb their way up the Disney ladder, others stay on the bottom rung. Then again, since you want to do art, there are so many internal postings for jobs once you are in, and they always are creating wonderful art, advertising, brochures, magazines, etc. Half of my family has worked there and we all liked it, but we're a Disney family. Hard to say Jessica. Good place to start looking is www.disneycareers.com

Whatever you do, pray about it. My biggest case against a variable schedule job (which most entry level jobs are) is you can't really schedule time with family & friends because your schedule always changes. My biggest cause for it is, hey, it's Disney, they work around school, and there are some great opportunities if God allows you to get your break. Sorry, I don't have the answer for you. Do pray that God will bring the right job to you.

Jessica said...

thanks Jason! you rock!